Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto... 5 Nihonggo survival phrases



With my new found Japanese friends :)

My first few weeks in Japan was quite intimidating. Everyone seemed to be talking gibberish in high-pitched tones. But -- here's the secret! I figured you dont actually have to understand everything to know whats going on! Japanese are quite repetitive (sorta like they are living a script!). You go in any restaurant, any store, taxi... chances are they will all say the same thing. And, if it seems as if they are muttering some looooooooooong speech, dont be alarmed. One English word translates to 30 seconds of Nihonggo! So just stand there, give a simple polite bow and smile. It usually works. If all fails, say... Nihonggo wakarimasen (Im a Gaijin and I dont understand what the heck you are saying!)

But.... if you wanna be cool but you're brain can only take 5 words, I recommend the following:

1. Domo - This is the ultimate survival phrase, and the funny thing is that it doesnt really have a direct translation. Domo can mean "Hi", or "Thank You", or "Excuse Me"... Its like an all around phrase.

2. Sumimasen - This is another ambiguous word. It tends to mean "excuse me", or a really casual "Im sorry". Its not the Im sorry I made you cry type, more of the Im sorry I accidentally nudged your shoulder on the train. Or Im sorry, can I squeeze through? Most useful application is to call a waiter at a restaurant. Note that you've gotta scream it loud or they wont pay attention. It takes some getting used to. hehe.

3.
Onegaishimasu - This means "please". So... if you wanna order food, just point to the picture and say Onegaishemasu (note the last letter "u" is not pronounced).

4.
Sugoi - Directly translated, it means "amazing". I was never really taught this as a survival phrase, but what I learned what it meant - its like my eyes were opened to a whole new world! Maybe cuz Japanese seem to find every little thing amazing!!! hahaha! I noticed that they use it a lot in casual conversation.

5. Arigato Gozaimasu - Im sure you know what this means... "Thank you very much!" You'll hear it in restaurants often.
(note again that the last letter "u" is not really pronounced).

I'll give you more words in my next blog in case youre interested...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...