Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Too Many Gaijins...

So I’ve noticed that all my blogs have been revolving around food! To avoid sounding like a glutton who spends all her time munching away, I shall blog about something different.

GAIJIN.

Gaijin is a Japanese word referring to non-Japanese. If you’re looking for Gaijin – the Pong (a.k.a. Roppongi) is the place to go. To anyone who’s never been to Tokyo, I can't promise you’ll love or hate it, but Im sure you’ll always remember the experience. Make sure though that you go with only money you are willing to spend, and a full supply of energy to last till the sun goes up (Said with no exaggeration at all)! Im no Pong expert, but here's a list of places Ive been to in case you ever decide to make a visit...

The streets of Roppongi...

TRAIN BAR
Address: 1/F ROI Bldg 5-5-1 Roppongi Tel Num: (+81) 03-3423-0082 Website: http://www.trainbar.com

One Friday night, a few of our U.S. officemates were on vacation in Tokyo (last time I saw these guys was 2007? has it been that long?). After a few minutes of searching, and asking the Nigerians (yup, the Pong has tons of Nigerians who probably know the area best!) we found Train Bar. If you want a good mix of Japanese and Gaijin in a small intimate setting – it’s the place to be. BIG PLUS: They have a ton of rock CD's, and you can make your request!

With Aaron (one of my co-prisoners at the Hotel Hatchobori) and the Train Bar bartender (she speaks awesome English!). Hidden behind us is some random Romanian I met, hahaha!!!.

With our Informatica U.S. officemates, out to Tokyo for a visit. Showing them how its done in this side of the world!

A-971
Address: Tokyo Midtown East, 9-7-2 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Website: http://www.a971.com/


Its been a while since I hung out with my first Tokyo girlfriend. I head out with Marika (Aussie/Jap by decent) to Ebisu for some dinner, drinks and non-stop kwento (stories) about my recent engagement and her endless escapades. After dinner, we decide to head to this bar near Roppongi Hills (incidentally, its where we first met!). As always, our girl’s night out turned into another random Roppongi experience. Bumped into some people she knew, some I already knew, some I didn’t. (you know you’ve been in a country too long when you run into people you know in the streets, at bars… oh gosh…) As we were in Gaijin-town, everyone was Gaijin, a.k.a. English-speakers! That’s probably the only thing I like about Roppongi. So if you're looking for an upscale bar with 99% Gaijin...

This was the first time I met Mari at A-971 early 2008, has it been that long? At Mari's left is crazy Taka and Bob (the guy we never saw again!) at her right.

Mari and I on another random Pong-spree, 2009. See the difference?

FERIA
Address: B1F 7-13-7 Roppongi Minato-ku 106-0032 Tokyo
Tel Num: 03-5785-0656 Website: http://lounge-feria.jp
This is where you go if youre up for a party scene! Imagine... crowded and dancing with an eclectic mix of Japanese and Gaijins. Only thing I dont really like is that it resembles a New York club too much to the point that for a good 5 hours, you almost forget you're in Tokyo. Who wants to go to Tokyo to experience New York, right? But... for a night out of dancing with friends, pretty fun. Be ready to spend an arm and a leg though. Every move requires money out! To enter, to get a table, to rent a locker....

That's my officemate to the right and a bunch of his college friends. Notice the alchi? That got us a table for the night. Damage = Y13,000 / person not including entrance fees.

My officemate having fun with a sponsor lady at Feria (Zima - probably their version of lambanog! LOL)

There a bunch of other clubs, pubs, bars... around the area. But this is probably my top 3 joints at The Pong. Before I end the post though, I am obliged to share... there is a saying among us (credit to my ex-officemate, Kyle) Nothing good ever happens in Roppongi… so proceed with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...