Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Took me one hour to figure out the rice cooker

So... Ive been coming back and forth for almost a year now, each time staying in a fully equipped apartment (man, can this spoil a lady!). The past 100 visits, I lived on Freshness burger down the road, or Pepper Lunch, that awesome revolving sushi place, or any of the million restaurants in every corner (again... man, can this spoil a lady!).

This trip, I've decided to become domesticated. I am getting married to a man who loves to eat soon - oh, the pressure is on!!! Plus, I find some fulfillment in learning to do something new. Back home, Id never really get the opportunity to cook (again... man, can this spoil a lady!). So, I have jumped at the opportunity to better myself. I am pleasantly surprised at what, even a a girl like me can do around the kitchen.

Around the corner from my apartment is an old lady that sells fruits and veggies. Its not always complete, but is extremely convenient and cheap. Ok... not cheap-CHEAP. But cheaper. 3 pieces of garlic = Y50. 3 tiny tiny avocados = Y100. 3 large onions = Y150 (i think?). apples/pears/etc... = Y400 or more (exagg! stay away from the fruits). Ill pass by tomorrow and get the prices. Note: 1 Yen = Pesos 0.5 = USD 0.01. Down Ningyocho-dori ("dori" means main road, "chome" means small street), there are a few small stores that sell a humble selection of raw fish, condiments, that kinda thing... With everything close by, its easy to stop for ingredients after work.

I must say though, I am very limited here. 1) I have no idea whats in the bottles: soy sauce? soba sauce? yakitori sauce? Ive been lucky with my guesses so far. 2) Who can tell whats what when everything in Japanese? I almost bought ham thinking it was chicken. Thank God for my limited Japanese ("Nan-de?" means what is that?). 3) Cooking for one is tough. I have too much raw ingredients that rot easily. Dont wanna eat the same thing every day, right? Lastly, not all ingredients are easily available (I want rosemary, and basil, and...)

I'm proud to say that I've made do with what I have and made some decent and some good dishes.

the tiny but complete kitchen I finally used

First few brainless dishes: Had to test the kitchen -- how to turn the stove on? How to chop? How to wash dishes? How to cook rice? man that rice cooker is hard to figure out! Most appliances in my apartment come with an English user manual. But NOT the rice cooker! First, I lived on rice with canned goods, Then I had to do the omelette with bread, had cheese, tomatoes, and spam. Awesome stuff. Then I did a few varieties of pasta, mostly used fresh mushrooms. Then I got confident and did adobong kangkong! I missed pinoy food. It was not bad for a first time. I wish I had a picture.

Second actual dish: Potato salad and pan-fried fish (the fish resembles salmon, but I dont think it is. Again, another con of not knowing Nihonggo). For the salad, I used local Japanese mayo, put some potatoes, chopped eggs, onions, a little avocado, seasoning, etc... I wanted to have it with grilled steak or chicken, but I couldnt find any nearby. So I settled for pan-fried fish with a little seasoning.

Third actual dish: Veggie-delight! Since Im going home soon, I figured I ought to use up all my leftover raw ingredients. Because of the friendly veggie vendor next door -- Ive got tons of veggies! Made boiled okra dipped in soy sauce and vinegar (this dish reminds me of home) and Stir-fried red bell peppers and onions/onion leaks. Again, I wish I had chicken to go with that. This dish turned out pretty yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...